Growing Long Natural Hair
If you want to grow your hair long, you need to understand one thing first. Growing LONG hair from short hair will take a LONG time. Growing long hair requires time, commitment and care. Regardless of what you may be told on the internet by random YT's, websites or Boomquisha with the doo-gro, putting a cream on your hair will NOT increase the rate at which your hair grows. Period. Not gonna happen.
What do growth creams do?
Generally speaking, growth creams/oils are usually protective. They coat your hair and keep it slightly moisturized, while imparting them with a beneficial and nourishing essential oil or butter component designed as an aid in preventing breakage. There are some essential oils/herbs that can aid in restoring your growth to its optimum, such as rosemary claims to do. However nothing you can make in your kitchen or buy from the beauty supply will change your body's hard-coded, genetic capacity for hair growth. Speak to your doctor about that.
Hair Growth Explained
To explain hair growth, please read our article on Hair Growth 101 which will give you all the info you need. It is a comprehensive explanation. Once you understand that, things will make much more sense to you.
Retaining Length: Most Important Facts
Did you know that your hair IS growing? The most common reason we think our hair is not growing is because of breakage. If it is breaking as it grows, you may think your hair is not growing. So the logical thing is to do your best to prevent breakage and this can be done in a number of ways:
1. Protective Styling. Tucking your ends. Wearing updos. Covering with a scarf. Sleeping in a satin cap/scarf or on a satin pillowcase. Wearing a wig. NOTE: I do not include braids or sew/glue-in weave in this category because these styles can cause stress on your hair, making it thin or break off when the weave/braids are removed, especially if worn for too long. Tight sew ins can be bad enough. Don't get me started on glue...
2. Maintain A Good Diet. If you are unhealthy on the inside, your hair will be unhealthy on the outside. Nourish those follicles with a balanced diet and vitamins so your hair is healthy from the inside. You don't have to be a vegetarian, just eat a healthy, balanced diet with good protein.
3. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Water is the most important ingredient to elastic hair and less breakage. Drink your recommended daily allowance of water daily.
4. Humidity. Hair steamers do wonders for natural hair, opening the cuticle and letting moisture in. Try to do this as often as you can.
5. Check Your Water Quality. Often overlooked, if your household water is fully of chlorine, fluroide, calcium, lime, rust, copper or any other minerals, these will affect your hair. Some chemicals will dry it out while others will coat and build up. Invest in a shower filter and only use filtered water to wash your hair. If your water is hard, you will notice the difference immediately after installing a filter.
6. Sheild From UV. As often as you can, wear a light covering or hat on your hair when outside in direct sunlight. It is incredible the damage harsh sunlight can do to your hair just in a matter of hours.
7. If It Burns Your Skin, It Burns Your Hair. Stay away from direct heating appliances. If you want long hair, be extremely careful when using heat appliances. Heat damage can be done in less than 1 second using a flat iron and it is irreversible.
8. Lavender And Jojoba Scalp Massages. Lavender is my most favorite eo to use on my hair. It is soothing, nourishing and calming to the hair follicles. Use a drop of this in a teaspoon of jojoba ester and massage deeply and gently into your scalp before bed a couple of times a week. This is also wonderful for baby and helpful to cure cradle cap.
Don't fall for any claims from random people about miracle products for hair growth. This includes over-using vitamins, sleeping with horse fungicides on your head and using hoof growth products or yeast infection medications. Eating well and protecting your hair will do your body a whole lot more good than wasting your money on dubious claims! Your genetics are your genetics and no amount of product will change that.